Thought of the Day

I don't believe in morality, but I believe in ethical conduct as set out by His Holiness the Dalai Lama: "Ethical conduct = a way of behaving that respects others’ right to be happy".

Sunday 26 July 2009

The Importance of being Earnest

Tonight THE husband surprised me with two tickets for the open air theatre in Regent's Park. We decided to cycled there and, although the journey was a bit rushed as we were tight, the route was lush: an endless line of grand mansions and one of the best maintained parks in the world at the end of our ride. The play, The Importance of Being Earnest, was funny, witty and exhilarating. As a posh old dude remarked, it was a first class experience. The live music, the setting, the actors and, of course, the screenplay. Oscar Wilde is a genius. My adoration for him started in high school where I read and studied this play for the first time. Despite being adapted for the big screen and staged many times, I had never seen or read it since... until tonight. 18 years later! I still could recognise many of the famous quotes which have accompanied my rebellious adolescent years.
Lucy Brigggs Owen (far left) was hilarious in her role of Cecily: The open air theatre is a magical place... The sparkling lights, the romantic setting, the breeze (when it's not raining, granted!) and the freedom of watching a play while having a picnic is priceless. And it is even more special for me as it is the only place in London I have always been with my husband. Here the full story in three acts. It is also a pleasure just reading it.
"Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone" Oscar Wilde

No comments: