Thought of the Day

I don't believe in morality, but I believe in ethical conduct as set out by His Holiness the Dalai Lama: "Ethical conduct = a way of behaving that respects others’ right to be happy".

Wednesday 16 January 2008

Mies vailla menneisyyttä

The Man Without a Past
Director: Aki Kaurismäki
Written by:
Aki Kaurismäki

The second part of Aki Kaurismäki's "Finland" trilogy (after Drifting Clouds), the film follows a man who arrives in Helsinki and gets beaten up so severely he develops amnesia. Unable to remember his name or anything from his past life, he cannot get a job or an apartment, so he starts living on the outskirts of the city and slowly starts putting his life back on track.


Language:
Finnish
Country:
Finland
Filming location:
Helsinki
Awards:
Nominated for Oscar

(c) imdb
in helsinki we spent one of our nights at the kaurismakis brothers' bar. aki kaurismaki is an awarded film director who i had discovered during my internship at la biennale of venice and i was asked to transcribe interviews of a few famous directors.

i have only a few words for this film: the man without a past is a humanist film with jumps into the theatre of the absurd and an endearing romance staging the most humble and genuine feelings. the protagonist's capacity of creating his dignified life in a run-down community at the outskirts of helsinki was touching and fascinating without being sentimental, and reminded me the hero of Bon Bon El Perro.

Some quotes:

M
: What do I owe you?
Electrician
: If you ever find me face down in the gutter, turn me around to my back

[M is renting an abandoned shipping container]
M: When can I move in?
Anttila
: As soon as I turn my back.
M
: And the keys?
Anttila
: You see a lock anywhere?
M
: No.
Anttila
: Don't go splitting hairs then, or I'll take the door, too.

No comments: