Thought of the Day

I don't believe in morality, but I believe in ethical conduct as set out by His Holiness the Dalai Lama: "Ethical conduct = a way of behaving that respects others’ right to be happy".

Tuesday 4 October 2005

La Langue & la Parole

Just back from my Spanish class. I got inspired and created the Spanish corner. I will post elements of grammar as I study them, a personalised dictionary and useful links. I really need to learn these verbs not to risk to end up speaking Italian all the time. I like learning languages, and one of the infinite reasons is that I like studying them on those uplifting textbooks where the character always seem happy and do nice things like going on holiday, meeting friends at the market and have tea breaks. Even when they work or are sad and tired, they look serene and make me cheerful. I also like to talk about basic things in another language, which we very often give for granted in our mother tongue. When you start learning a new idioma/parole/lingua, you actually speak like you used to speak when you were 6 or so, and it sounds more authentic. Also Samuel Beckett preferred writing in French (his second language); he used to say that it was a more direct and spontaneous way of communicating since he knew only one way to say things. Well, I think it is becoming clear, from my previous posts, not only that I am nostalgic of my infancy, but also that I am Russounian in believing that our primitive personality was closer to the state of nature and therefore freer. [My cousin explained (in italian) this Rousseau's concept much better than me]. Thanks to my boyfriend, who cooked the dinner for me, I managed to post this second post of the day, and to inaugurate my Spanish corner! Hurrah! I can't believe what a fantastic chef my boyfriend has turned into! I still remember that the first months we were dating, we would eat just butter on toast for breafast, lunch and dinner at his house. Good for me which I used to love this salted butter (non-existent in Italy) and slices of soft bread, but tedious for him. Now the least I get is a delicious dish of pasta with spicies, pesto and crispy bacon. In this way though, I have lost another occasion to learn how to cook. Well, next time. In the next paragraph of our life, perhaps. ;o )

No comments: