Thought of the Day

I don't believe in morality, but I believe in ethical conduct as set out by His Holiness the Dalai Lama: "Ethical conduct = a way of behaving that respects others’ right to be happy".

Sunday 16 October 2005

From Le Canard a L'Orange to Le Daube de Boeuf

5.30pm. Friday. I switched my PC off. I had enough. I walked down to the underground and caught the Jubilee Line, for the first time alone in a long time--definitely the first time after the bombings. I glanced at the stops' number: six to Waterloo. Not too bad. I sat down. It was a colourful and fairly new train. Not too crowded either. I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. It did not remind me of the carnage. More people got on as we were approaching central London. I looked at a guy, I looked at his rucksack and I started building some paranoids. This demonstrated that I am not recovered, as I thought I was.

I got safely to Waterloo station, I was early and decided to wait at the platform 7. I had something to read but I was distracted by the stream of people rushing around. Everybody seemed to be in a hurry. It was hard to believe that it was a late Friday afternoon. Finally Lofty arrived and blamed me not to have bought tickets already. We got on a smart train to Woking. There Lofty's parents were waiting for us for a night out together: pizza and then cinema: Wallace and Gromit & the Curse of the Were-Rabbit. A little gem of an English old fashion style cartoon, especially if you think that it is not computer generated but a *hand made*. It was funny, sweet, human and loving. Gromit, the doggy, was the hero of this animation film. Even though mouth-less, he was very expressive and very cutely hilarious.

Saturday morning--up at 8.30 am for a day trip to Bath. For economy of words, see travel section of this blog. We went back to London on Sunday with Lofty's parents for a Sunday brunch at our place. The plan was to experiment Duck a L'Orange, which we bought a few days early. Unfortunately, Lofty had the idea of leaving this huge corpse out of the fridge to defrost. Fair enough, it was so big! But he left it defrosting for over two days.. and two nights. I leave you imagine the smell we found in the flat on our return. We decided to change recipe and bought beef joint instead. It was already 3pm, so we decided to have a walk through Primrose Hill, before starting cooking our eventually successful Sunday roast: Le Daube de Boeuf. Guess what are we having tonight? Crispy Duck... But from my fav supermarket: M&S. An expensive but safer option. ;o )

No comments: