Thought of the Day

I don't believe in morality, but I believe in ethical conduct as set out by His Holiness the Dalai Lama: "Ethical conduct = a way of behaving that respects others’ right to be happy".

Saturday 8 August 2009

Flourishing Mood

I was devastated when I saw my plant dying. It was the plant I bought 7 years and 4 months ago, as soon as I moved to the UK. I kept watering it hoping in a miracle. A few days later my phoenix flourished back. I was amazed by the power of nature.
I am wearing an Orla Kiely knitted dress with a retro floral print, the designer's trademark graphic pattern. The floral silver necklace comes from very far away. I bought this gem and two other designs (photo below) in the remote Ibo Island, the ex-Portuguese colony of the Quirimbas archipelago (northern Mozambique). Skilful silversmiths sitting on the floor at the entrance of the ex-Portuguese fortress patiently melt old Portuguese coins to forge stunning designs, injected with Arabic influences. Every little piece is artfully crafted and assembled together with very little tools and a sight compromised by years of repeated stress. It's a real labour of love.
On Sunday we went to Vale's for a brunch. On the way to her house I bought her three hydrangeas. I carefully picked two powder pink and one purple/blue, and the florist, a lovely French young lady, arranged them into a lovely composition which matched my blouse!
This vase was also bought during our honeymoon. During our self-drive tour around South Africa we stopped in a little village inhabited by wild horses. In a craft shop selling glass artwork I saw this vase. Instead of real peonies, which they only grow in the month of May, I adorned it with silk magenta peonies.

No comments: