Thought of the Day

I don't believe in morality, but I believe in ethical conduct as set out by His Holiness the Dalai Lama: "Ethical conduct = a way of behaving that respects others’ right to be happy".

Saturday 14 February 2009

LOVE

I did not personally celebrate Valentine's Day, as per tradition. In 2006, however, the year my granddad passed away and the year I made an offer for my flat from a cafe in Paris, we celebrated LOVE at the Tate Modern Gallery. I turned the cheesiness of Valentine's Day into a genuinely romantic evening. Yesterday, after browsing a few second hand shops in West Hampstead where we collected a scarf, a grandma blouse and a shawl, I helped Alessandra and Kerin to step into one of the most amazing feminist couples, Thelma & Louise, for their fancy dress party/single girls night out. The theme was famous couples and they looked awfully cool. And here some of my model couples:
Troilus & Cressida - after a modernist play at the Barbican (which I missed), they will be on stage at the Globe this Spring time...
Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart - 12 years of difference and 12 years together till parted by death. She is still alive and still acting!
Paul Newman and his missus, Joanne Woodward - A beautiful couple in youth and old age. Here their half-century story of love, commitment, glam and deep passion.
Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath - A turbulent and intense relationship with a double tragic-ending. The cool news of this Valentine's is that one of my friend met a lovely guy... se son fiori... and that LOVE magazine has been launched today. Happy Name Day to my Valentines!

No comments: