Thought of the Day

I don't believe in morality, but I believe in ethical conduct as set out by His Holiness the Dalai Lama: "Ethical conduct = a way of behaving that respects others’ right to be happy".

Wednesday 17 January 2007

tutta colpa dell'inflazione

i like spending my money, so you are free to call me “consumerist”, in every sense. in fact, i do not only consume money, i also consume all my purchases to the bones, fully experience any travel or cultural experience i buy and consume my, and sometimes other's, energies too. but for sure i do not spend money i do not have, by posing certain limits to my wallet. however, I am not sure how I am going to cope with this increasingly aggressive city/country because, whilst the economy is going up and up, my finances will go down and down. the enlightened minds remind me that “air travel is too cheap as it is, and is fucking up the environment” and that the rising inflation rate is a good sign of the fruitful times. but i, emotional thinker, wonder: is £10 more of taxes going to discourage travellers to use the plane when train fares in this country are prohibitive? and should not my salary increase accordingly, to catch up the running inflation? travelling by public transports in london has become more expensive than flying on a concorde. since I have been in London it has gone up of 250% (!): a single course on the tube is now £4. however, londoners do not express a word of dissent, they accept the boost, pay it, get into debts and keep going. yesterday i went to see billy elliott (exhilarant! review to follow), and the mining strike in the ‘80s is the only social protest I have (indirectly) witnessed in this country. unions here have no longer power. i want the revolution. but fidel, the last real revolutionary, is very ill. although he was strict, intollerant towards liberalism and a stubborn head, I will miss him.

No comments: