Thought of the Day

I don't believe in morality, but I believe in ethical conduct as set out by His Holiness the Dalai Lama: "Ethical conduct = a way of behaving that respects others’ right to be happy".

Saturday 30 December 2006

sharing a short story

j.d. Salinger
a perfect day for bananafish

the new yorker, january 31, 1948, pages 21-25

click on the title for the full story


He let go of her ankles, drew in his hands, and laid the side of his face on his right forearm. "Well," he said, "you know how those things happen, Sybil. I was sitting there, playing. And you were nowhere in sight. And Sharon Lipschutz came over and sat down next to me. I couldn't push her off, could I?"

"Yes."


"Oh, no. No. I couldn't do that," said the young man. "I'll tell you what I did do, though."


"What?"


"I pretended she was you."


excerpt from A Perfect Day for Bananafish

No comments: