Thought of the Day

I don't believe in morality, but I believe in ethical conduct as set out by His Holiness the Dalai Lama: "Ethical conduct = a way of behaving that respects others’ right to be happy".

Friday 6 October 2006

BOOK MEME

"Noi leggiavamo un giorno per diletto di Lancialotto come amor lo strinse; soli eravamo e sanza alcun sospetto.

Per più fïate li occhi ci sospinse quella lettura, e scolorocci il viso; ma solo un punto fu quel che ci vinse.

Quando leggemmo il disïato riso esser basciato da cotanto amante, questi, che mai da me non fia diviso,

la bocca mi basciò tutto tremante. Galeotto fu 'l libro e chi lo scrisse: quel giorno più non vi leggemmo avante». Dante, Inferno-canto-05-27

Accepting her invite. NB. it's never only one!
1 - One book that changed your life: ~Pennac, Reads like a Novel changed my way of approaching novels. ~Calvino, American lessons: Six Memos for the Next Millennium; Eco, Six Walks in the Fictional Woods; and Borges, This Craft of Verse all changed my way of reading literature at uni. ~Dalai Lama, The Art of Happiness, read in light of my encyclopedic knowledge of yoga, is changing my way of looking at life. ~Todorov, The conquest of America: the Question of the Other changed my way of looking at history. ~Levi-Strauss, Structural Anthropology changed my way of looking at cultures. ~Pirandello's work (I read almost everything by him) changed my way of looking at society. ... 2 - One book that you've read more than once: Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray, flag of my adolescence. 3 - One book you'd want on a desert island: an eternal book: Dante, La divina commedia illustrata (The Illustrated Divine Comedy); an antropological text: Diamond, Guns, Germs and Steel; and a linguistic book: Bragg, The Adventure of English. 4 - One book that made you laugh: Ammanniti, Ti prendo e ti porto via; Beckett, Waiting for Godot, Calvino, Mr Palomar. 5 - One book that made you cry: Recently, Niffenegger, The Time Traveller's Wife & Zafon, The Shadow of the Wind. Is it a case that Amazon.co.uk recommends to buy them together? Househofer, The Wall made me cry for the sense of desperation and claustrophoby it communicated me. 6 - One book that you wish you had written: Any poem by Silvia Plath or Calvino, Se una notte d'inverno un viaggiatore (Calvino, If on a Winter's Night a Traveller) - the best meta-novel! 7 - One book that you wish had never been written: Bachmann, Malina: A Novel. Whilst fascinated by her messy personality and poems, I found this book, with its intensively interiorised (neurotic) perspective, a heavy stone. Oh, and I can't read Joyce, Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man. Too experimental for my little brain! 8 - One book you're currently reading: Ian McEwan, Atonement and Maraini, Colomba. 9 - One book you've been meaning to read: Oh, far too many! Amongst them, Nietzsche, Proust, In Search of Lost Time, Bulgakov, Master and Margarita and Yehoshua, A Journey to the End of Millennium (ignoring his political credo!). Passing the thread to: Superqueen, Jess, Fatrobot, Popscene and Gatto Nero.

No comments: